I’m working on a post (or three) about a favourite game and in the process I came up with the phrase “comfort-gaming” (by analogy to comfort-eating). Not claiming to be the first obviously! Anyway, to me the phrase largely connotes knowable, replayable gameplay. There’s something to be said for spending a couple of hours beating a game you’ve beaten a million times before. Or hooning around a free-roaming game on casual mode. Or even just not-really-trying to beat your high score on an old arcade classic. I’m interested to know if, how and where you get your comfort gaming kicks, dear VGReader! The more obscure and personal, the better!
- Speedrunning Green Hill and Star Light Zones?
- Wandering aimlessly about in Sorrow’s Furnace?
- Building great works just to tear them down in Sim City or similar?
- Actively chasing that next YASD in some roguelike you like to like?
- Lapping the field whilst not even trying on a hour(s)-long race?
- That one special save you kept just for Triple Triad/Blitzball?
- Spending too long on Practice Mode combos you’ll never pull off in a real fight?
…it’s bloody Tetris, isn’t it?
WIBIL #19: Gaming for idle fun, distraction, or simply because right now you’d rather be playing than not is best in life!
Press 5 to rest